Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

To me, motherhood is the epitome of selflessness. When you become a mother -- whether it was in your plans to or not -- you're faced with the choice to continue living your life business as usual, or to throw all your plans, dreams, aspirations and the like out the window and jump in with heart, mind, body, and soul into the world of motherhood. 

Being a mother is a difficult and usually thankless "job". Well, it really is more like a vocation ... a calling. Real mothers die daily to themselves to raise their children in the way they feel is best. A mother's influence cannot be measured; everything she does is being engraved in her child's memory which serves as a blueprint for life later on. As a mother, the opportunities to make lasting impressions on your child are limitless!

I think it's amazing the way God takes a woman and turns her into a mother. Granted, you have to accept the gift He's giving you, in spite of the seemingly high cost to yourself. But with the sacrifices come His grace, His love, His patience ... all you need to deepen your character and make of you a better person and a positive role model to your child. 

I definitely fall short when it comes to being an "ideal mother", but luckily I know several mothers whom I admire and who are an inspiration to me. Whether they have 13 or 2 children, whether they are older or young, whether I agree with them on everything or not, in my books they are queen mothers and are fulfilling their roles incredibly. And yes, they continue to dream dreams (albeit modified) and tirelessly work to turn them into realities. 

So here's to all the awesome moms that I'm blessed to know! ... Your labors are not in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment