Friday, March 19, 2010

A Little Angel Called Alina

I was thinking today about what a blessing and big help Alina is to me. Other than the fact that she's my daughter and the joy that that brings, she's been trying real hard to help me take care of Laura since I'm alone. 

She always wanted a little sister and would ask me every-so-often if she could have one (sure! let's go choose one from the supermarket shelf!). Ever since she got what she wanted, she frequently exclaims her joy in having a sister and constantly tells me how she's going to teach Laura to do everything she knows how to do and loves having her around ... except for when she's playing, because then Laura inevitably wants to play with what she has.

But back to the adoring, older sister part, I had to take Laura to Alina's ballet class on Wednesday and Alina was so proud to show off her little sister. She told me she was hoping her friend Lara would go to class that day because then she'd get to show Laura to her (and then commented on how similar their names are). And then again today, Laura went with her to swimming class and she proudly told her teacher that "that" was her sister ... such love!

Just this week she changed Laura all by herself for the first time and naturally, was as proud as could be at that great feat. Then yesterday I had to work on something that needed to go to print that afternoon. As it was market day and there was no one to get the girls for me, I asked Alina if she could take care of Laura until I finished. She happily gathered Laura's things (flashcards, quote posters, verse books, etc.), and when I checked on them, Laura was having a grand time looking at some things while Alina was putting away the quote posters with an I'm-so-responsible air. She always says how much she wants to have kids and that that's why it's good that she helps take care of Laura because then she can learn and practice.

I got a nasty cold today which left me feeling terrible, so after giving the girls a shower, I laid down to rest a bit before dinner while they played. A short while later Alina loudly exclaimed: "Ew! Bob! Laura pooped in her diaper and she stinks!" and after getting a groan from me, she said: "Bob, it's a sacrifice, remember?". I playfully told her I was going to bequeath my sacrifice to her. I thought she was going to say something along the lines of "no way!", but instead she replied: "Ok, but you're going to have to get a bazin (I think she meant basin) for me because I can't pick her up to wash because she's too heavy!" ... suuuuch a happy helper!

So I changed her and laid down again, but a few seconds later Laura was wailing and pointing to the door wanting to leave. Alina, trying to be helpful, offered to take Laura to "walk around the house and see what's going on". Being that hardly anyone was home, there wasn't much going on and a minute later Laura was happy again. 


I told Alina that I was resting because I wasn't feeling well and right away she asked: "Do you want me to pray for you?". It's little things like that that make me ever-so-thankful that I have her in my life.

Naturally, there are times when she tries my patience, I get upset and frustrated at her and then at myself for not having more patience, and end up feeling like a failure as a mom. But then a little kiss from her, a "you're the best Bob in the world!", a tight squeeze followed by "I love you Bob!", reminds me of how blessed I am to have been entrusted with this angel 6 years ago.

One of my most fervent prayers is that I'll be a good sample and what she needs because she's registering most everything in that bright mind of hers and will copy it to a certain extent.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Little Women which is: "I must try to practice all the virtues I would have my little girls possess, for I am their example." Now that's a tall order! As a parent (or if you live with children) you're on stage 24/7 ... God help us all!


The happy helper:

My ballerina angel:


No comments:

Post a Comment