Monday, May 4, 2009

The Need to Say "I Love You"

This is one of those things that we all know and hear all the time, but the other day Alina said something that got me thinking about this. She was talking about something and then all of a sudden changed the conversation and asked if I loved her. Needless to say, I was surprised with her question and after assuring her that I did love her, asked her why she asked that. She said: "Because you never say you do" (don't we just love to use the words "never" and "always"?). 

Of course I tell her that I love her, but apparently it wasn't said often enough to impress her. In my adult way of thinking I figure that she knows I love her because of all that I do for her, the time I spend with her, the things I get her, etc. But obviously that's not the same as hearing me say I love her (duh).

So now I've been making a conscious effort to frequently say "I love you" and give her lots more hugs and kisses and spend more time cuddling. She's growing up so quickly and I know I'll regret not having spent more one-on-one time with her.

That's one way that I've changed with Laura; I spend more time with her just enjoying her. I have more work to do then when I had Alina, plus Alina was an easier baby, but I don't want to make the same mistake of putting my work before my kids.

God gave me a family, and aside from being responsible for it and taking care of it, I'm pretty sure He also wants me to enjoy it. 


All of this has been a semi-revelation for me because before I was too work-oriented and would feel guilty if I didn't get around to doing everything on my "to do" list. Yes, I know, I had some pretty unrealistic expectations when it came to accomplishing things.

But anyway, all that to say that Alina helped awaken me to the reality of her need to hear that she's loved. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, because after all, I have the same need. 


Come to think of it, I'd venture to say that all humans have that need. Although some won't admit it.

What can I say? Living and learning. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Yes it is sooo true. These little deeds and words of love are tiny yet make such a huge diff. No matter how busy we are.
    Thank you for this post wonderful post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. É só Jesus ... glad you liked it though.

    ReplyDelete