Saturday, June 26, 2010

About Cats and Dogs ...

... for memory's sake.

Alina: Bob, when we move to São Paulo can we get a cat?

Me: Maybe. What kind of cat would you want?

Alina: A white cat. Do you know what kind of cat is white?

Me: No, but we can look it up it up, do some research.

Alina: Good! So we can get two cats but they have to be the same kind 'cause I want them to have kittens.

Me: But I'm allergic to cats.

Alina: Oh, that's ok, you don't need to be by them all the time. And I don't need to sleep with you any more so they can stay with me!

A few minutes later ...


Alina: Bob, do you know why cats are the best option (for a pet)? Because dogs are messy and need baths and cats don't. And then bunnies and hamsters are fragile and delicate and always die. Then parakeets ... they are birds and always run away. And fish, well, you can't play with them. That's why cats are perfect!

As she rambled on I wondered where she came up with all these words like "fragile", "delicate", "option" ... I thought it was so cute the way she stated the pros to having a cat in the hopes of convincing me to get her one. She probably felt like such a grown-up knowing so much about the right kind of pet to get. 

Well, I don't blame her for wanting a cat, as opposed to another animal. She's probably traumatized with rabbits and hamsters, being that all the ones we've had here ever since she was born have died (I can't even remember them all!). 

And then she hears her uncle and aunt telling tales about the dozens of parakeets they once had which died or escaped. 

She continued blabbing about the advantages of having cats, but the above was all I was able to write down ... she does talk pretty fast. Precious child that I'm blessed with!

No comments:

Post a Comment