Saturday, August 7, 2010

Arrival

We arrived safely in São Paulo Wednesday morning only to be met by the coldest weather ever! No matter how many layers of clothes I put on, I'm always freezing! 

We don't have a washing machine yet, so I have to wash our laundry by hand, which wouldn't be all that bad if it weren't for this nasty weather, but to top it off, nothing dries because it's cloudy and drizzles every day ... yay! 

Anyhoo, I have to adjust to a much smaller living space and am frying my brain trying to figure out how I'm going to fit all of our belongings into tiny closets (tiny compared to the ones we used to have). 

Other than that and the weather, everything else is fine. Of course, I miss "home", but I do have to be brave and force back my tears so that I can dry Alina's. 

Poor thing, she was happy enough during our last day in Belo and said goodbye to everything (the trees, the pets, the playground, the grass, and whatnot), but the moment the bus pulled out of the station, I think reality finally hit her and she dissolved into tears. 

I know the feeling, being that I cried my eyeballs out the last time I moved (when I was 11), but I didn't think she'd take it so hard since she's still quite young. 

Oh well, Lord willing, the bulk of our things will arrive next week. Thankfully I had a couple of boxes here with some of the girls' toys and that has been helping keep Alina happy and distracted ... hopefully until she gets used to our new situaion.



I wrote the above when we got here and only today I was able to access the internet. 

There's a soccer field and a little park right across the street and I took the kids there today, being that it was the first sunny day since we've been here. 

We also walked around the neighborhood and picked a ton of flowers. Laura fell asleep on our way back so poor, weak me had to carry her. 

Needless to say, the girls were quite happy to get out of the house and run around. 

Alina came down with a cold and we just found out that my sister-in-law (who's living here) has chicken pox. Please pray for no one else to get it (only Alina and I have already had it) and for Alina's health to be restored ASAP.

P.S. Mom, the girls received your letter today ... Alina was very happy that you wrote.

Alina with her farewell gift from her grandpa (a Portuguese pocket Bible):

Saying goodbye to her aunt Ana:

Ready to leave:

My handbag stuffed with goodies (junk) for the trip:

At the bus station with Grandpa:

Enjoying her last moments with the grandparents:

Playing with their new bubble blowers the morning we arrived:


No comments:

Post a Comment