Thursday, February 4, 2010

Motherhood Treats

Sometimes, sadly, I tend to focus on the endless sacrifices that come with being a parent. Mind you, I'm extremely thankful that God decided to bless me in this way. It's just that the day you become a parent is the day you completely and utterly die to yourself (or you should). You say goodbye to your pastimes, your preferences, your desires, your plans and dreams, your time, sometimes your health, etc. And sometimes I wish I could have both -- my kids and everything else :).

I know it's too much to ask for, and so I'm jotting down a few things I consider "treats" that come with being a mother. Just for me to change my focus to some of the good things that motherhood brings.

-- Being awakend by a small, chubby, soft hand gently (and sometimes not so gently) tapping my face and hearing unintelligible sounds as my monkey tries to communicate that she's awake and that I should be, too.

-- Seeing the excitement with which my daughter eagerly awaited her ballet and swimming classes to recommence and the total joy she radiated once they did.

-- Being humored by my daughter's fertile imagination such as "befriending" an ant and even bringing it to lunch for me to meet it. It mysteriously disappeared (which made her quite sad), even though she had left it nice and comfy on an almond leaf surrounded by its favorite food -- tiny flowers (this she knows because the ant told her so). A few days after it disappeared, she comforted herself by saying that her ant friend was probably getting ready to go on a long journey to visit her and that she'd see it soon. And it's no use telling her that our house and yard are infested with ants and that she can just get another one as a "pet" (she already had plans to make a house for it) because according to her, she doesn't want any other ant, just her friend (at least she's not crying over the loss of it).

-- Seeing my little one excited beyond measure as she tries to grab the water coming out of a hose again and again, and hearing her squeals of delight.

-- Hearing my daughter proudly say that she washed her plate and mine without me having to ask, because she saw I was busy feeding her baby sister.

-- Watching my daugher scamper off after getting dressed and gleefully saying how she doesn't have to make her bed because she slept in mine (and then that same rascal will kindly offer to help me make my bed some other day).

-- Being fortunate enough to have two healthy, inquisitive, happy (we're working on it), funny, intelligent (yes, it's a parent thing) girls to call my own.

-- Regularly receiving "flower gifts" from my princesses with an I-love-you-mom-and-got-these-mushed-flowers-and-random-leaves-just-for-you look on their faces (yes, I know that Laura would tell me that if she talked). Precious!

-- Receiving sincere compliments from my daughter (I know, I should enjoy it while it lasts, soon enough she'll be a teen) which go from "pretty", to "cute", to "yeah, you look nice". When she thinks I look really good, she'll ask me if she can have what I'm wearing.

-- And of course, hearing (and interpreting) my girls say they love me as they look at me with their angelic (aherm!) faces, and as they wrap their unconditionally-loving arms around me (which lasts for a couple of seconds ... and then all returns to normal).

These are just a few of the many daily, weekly, and every-so-often things I'm blessed with. And all because of what I've sacrificed. Wonderful!

1 comment: