Friday, February 4, 2011

The End of Homeschooling

I never imagined this day would come, the day I'd send my big girl off to school. Up until now she was homeschooled, and so the whole "regular school" thing is a new experience; for the both of us. 

Thank God I didn't haven any problems when I enrolled her in the nearby private school. Homeschooling is not a recognized form of schooling here in Brazil and sometimes it can be a hassle to make the transition. 

Aside from being a bit stubborn and not wanting to read, and I quote, a boring little text in Portuguese, Alina did well in the interview. So much so that the coordinator said she didn't have to do a test before enrolling because she was clearly advanced scholastically for her age.

At first she was kind of anxious about going to school and being away from me and home. But then yesterday she was finally excited about this new chapter of her life and looking forward to today, her "first day at school".

I'm still all for homeschooling and would continue doing it if our circumstances were different. But at the same time I'm glad to get a break from teaching, being that I taught for 9 1/2 years. I'll still be teaching her language arts (in English) since she obviously won't be taught that at school. 

All ready to go at 6:30 a.m.:

No comments:

Post a Comment